Add this webinar to your calendar:
Difficulties, Complications and Resistance: The Artful Science of Treating OCD
Dr. Jonathan Grayson, author of “Freedom from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder” will discuss OCD treatment issues and their solutions. This will include: treatment readiness preparation for clients with different OCD presentations; when and how to modify treatment for co-morbid issues; motivating clients and much more!
Designing a treatment of exposure and response prevention ERP is relatively simple, but obtaining compliance is an art. For many suffering from OCD, complying with treatment feels impossible and unatainable. Far too often, professionals have focused on the ‘resistance' to ERP and the client drop-out rate as reasons to try a different and less effective treatment. Although, such resistance exists, far too often other factors impede treatment compliance including:
1. Failure to obtain compliance to treatment/poor treatment preparation;
2. Failure to properly identify the feared consequences of exposure, and;
3. Issues of denial/acceptance and merged problems (when the feared consequences of co-morbid OCD and non-OCD problems make simultaneous treatment necessary).
In this workshop, the Dr. Grayson will discuss the above treatment issues and their solutions. This will include: treatment readiness preparation for clients with different OCD presentations; when and how to modify treatment for co-morbid issues; motivating clients and incorporating acceptance and commitment (ACT) themes into an exposure and response prevention program without compromising the treatment protocol; and the use of scripts to create an immersive treatment environment.
Jonathan Grayson, Ph.D. is a licensed psychologist, director of the Grayson LA Treatment Center for Anxiety & OCD and Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at USC. Dr. Grayson, a nationally recognized expert and author of Freedom from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, has been specializing in OCD for over 40 years. In 2010, the IOCDF awarded Dr. Grayson the Patty Perkins Lifetime Achievement Award for his contributions to OCD treatment. His work/expertise has been featured on, People Magazine, The Oprah Winfrey Show. He serves on the IOCDF Scientific Advisory Board. In 1981, he started, GOAL, the first US OCD support group.
A. Treatment Basics and the Role of Uncertainty
B. Incorporating Scripts into Treatment
1. The Role of Cognitive Therapy and ACT in ERP
II. Co-Morbidity – When and How Do You Have to Modify Treatment
III. Modifying Treatment for Different OCD Presentations
A. Primary Mental Obsessions
1. Scrupulosity and Orthodox Judaism
2. Violent Obsessions
3. Sexual Obsessions
4. Relationship OCD
B. OCD Spectrum
1. Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Attendees will know how to design and implement a program of exposure and response prevention (ERP) for the many different manifestations of OCD
- Attendees will learn how to identify different sources of treatment resistance, including how to determine when co-morbid issues do or don’t play a role
- Attendees will learn different techniques, including some that are presentation specific , for motivating clients/overcoming client resistance in treatment;
- Attendees will learn how to incorporate and modify for OCD principles of acceptance and commitment (ACT) into state of the art exposure and response prevention protocols
This presentation is open to:
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.