Friday, November 22nd, 2024 12:00 PM EST Shane King, LCSW
- Summarize the history of how systemic and structural racism entered into our police system.
- Define how trauma factors into how a person will behaviorally respond when interacting with the police system.
- List solutions to consider when working with clients who need emergency assistance or need to follow up regarding a non-strength base interaction with police.
- Explain strategies to counteract tense racial interaction and solutions to advise the community.
Introduction and Context Setting (15 minutes)
Brief personal introduction by Shane King, LCSW.
Overview of course objectives and the importance of addressing race and police interactions.
Understanding Systemic and Structural Racism (45 minutes)
Historical overview of racism in policing.
Discussion on systemic and structural racism's impact on communities of color.
Trauma and Behavioral Responses (45 minutes)
Exploration of trauma's role in interactions with police.
Case study review to illustrate trauma-influenced behaviors.
Break and Reflection (15 minutes)
Short break followed by a guided reflection on the first half of the workshop.
Solutions for Emergency Assistance and Follow-Up (45 minutes)
Strategies for working with clients post non-strength-based interactions.
Group activity to list practical solutions.
De-escalation Strategies and Community Advice (45 minutes)
Presentation of techniques to counteract tense racial interactions.
Role-play scenarios to practice and demonstrate strategies.
Q&A, Conclusion, and Future Directions (15 minutes)
Open discussion for questions and sharing of thoughts.
Closing remarks and encouragement for applying learned strategies in practice.
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing email@example.com or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.