Sunday, September 29th, 2024 1:00 PM EDT -4:00 PM EDT Kathryn Krase, Ph.D.,
What do I do when a client tells me they’ve contemplated committing suicide? Who do I contact when I’m worried a client is going to hurt someone? Will I get in trouble if I talk about my clients outside of work? This course brings real-world context to ethical concerns related to confidentiality, often experienced by professionals in practice. We’ll explore the goals and limits of confidentiality through an analysis of ethical and legal complications. This course will provide a framework to contemplate ethical dilemmas and make informed decisions that insulate professionals from legal liability while protecting clients from harm.
- Describe the ethical obligation to keep client information confidential.
- Discuss the legal obligation to maintain client confidentiality.
- Competently engage in discussions with clients regarding confidentiality obligations, enabling clients to make informed decisions about sharing information.
- Appropriately respond to and explain the ethical, legal, and moral considerations involved in deciding whether to breach client confidentiality.
Introductions (10 minutes)
The Ethics and Law that Govern Confidentiality (45 minutes)
This portion of the program will explore the basic tenets of ethics and law as they
relate to client confidentiality. Sections of professional codes of ethics, as well as
federal and state law, will be introduced and explained. The concepts of private
health information (PHI), informed consent and privilege will be introduced.
Keeping Client Confidences: From the Basic to the Difficult
Talking about Clients to Others (15 minutes)
Client Records (30 minutes)
- Standards of practice
- Release of Information
- Testimony in Court
Duty to Protect from Harm (45 minutes)
- Mandated Reporting
Case Studies & Practice Implications (25 minutes)
- Impact of technology
Conclusions/Questions (10 minutes)
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Doctors and Other Health Professionals
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an introductory level ,and is beneficial for a beginner level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.